Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
Several adult ones in for once this week!
1. “What if music is what escapes when a heart breaks?” - The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
2. “In thirty years, the world will not care about how I lived. But in hundred years, Bulgarians will still talk of Letchkov and how he expelled the mighty Germans from the 1994 World Cup with a simple header
Sport can unite worlds, tear down walls, and transcend race, the past, and all probability.
Unlike life, sport matters.” - Chinaman by Shehan Karunatilaka
3. “Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning — So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
4. “Gatsby turned out all right at the end; it is what preyed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men.” The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
(I was planning on limiting it to one per book, but cutting Gatsby down to two was hard enough!)
5. “I have told the truth.” Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
6. “Is it any wonder the power this man held over me - this man who did not run from his demons like most of us do, but embraced them as his own, clutching them to his heart in a choke-hold grip. He did not try to escape them by denying them or drugging them or bargaining with them. He met them where they lived, in the secret place most of us keep hidden. Warthrop was Warthrop down to the marrow of his bones, for his demons defined him; they breathed the breath of life into him; and without them, he would go down, as most of us do, into the purgatorial fog of a life unrealized."
The Monstrumologist: The Isle of Blood by Rick Yancey
7. “Contemplation seems to be about the only luxury that costs nothing.” I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith
8. “Tomorrow will be better.”
“But what if it’s not?” I asked.
“Then you say it again tomorrow. Because it might be. You never know, right? At some point, tomorrow will be better.” Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
9. “What to keep of all these reels of film, what to throw away? If we could only take 1 memory on our journey, what would we choose? At the expense of what or whom? And most importantly, how to choose among all these shadows, all these spectres, all these titans? Who are we, when all is said and done? Are we the people we once were or the people we wish we had been? Are we the pain we caused others or the pain we suffered at the hands of others? The encounters we missed or those fortuitous meetings that changed the course of our destiny? Our time behind the scenes that saved us form our vanity or the moment in the limelight that warmed us? We are all of these things, we are the whole life that we have lived, its highs and lows, its fortunes and its hardships, we are the sum of the ghosts that haunt us... we are a host of characters in one, so convincing in every role we played that it is impossible for us to tell who we really were, who we have become, who we will be.”
What the Day Owes the Night by Yasmina Khadra
10. “It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him.” Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Jackpot is about a teenage girl, Rico, who lives just above the poverty line and works as a gas store clerk to help her mother earn enoug...
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Artsy Reader Girl - huge thanks to her for hosting. Stella by Helen Eve - One part Gossip ...
Huge thanks to Hachette Children's for NetGalley approval for this! April accidentally sets fire to a museum and ends up living a...